Skip to main content

Boise Barracks photograph

Identifier: 2021.01

Content Description

A photograph with description "1909 Army Deserters Firing Squad NGI Boise Barracks Historic Photograph ID'd lot."


  • 1909

Conditions Governing Access

Records are open for research.

Biographical / Historical

The location of Fort Boise was chosen by Major Pickney Lugenbeel on July 4, 1863. The original log structure was built by members of the Oregon cavalry, as well as a sandstone quartermaster’s building which was erected September 1, 1864.

The Fort operated as a military post during ongoing hostilities between European settlers and the native populations of the area through the 1870s, as well as during the Owyhee War, a violent uprising in Silver city over a disputed mining claim. On April 5, 1879, the Fort was redesignated Boise Barracks to house Army units. It remained in use through 1912, and again in 1916 leading up to the Mexican border campaigns and from 1942 to 1944 during World War II. During the 1920s a veteran’s hospital was built on the grounds; the remaining property not used for the hospital was turned over to the State of Idaho on March 14, 1944.


1 Photographic Prints

Language of Materials

No linguistic content; Not applicable

Physical Location

Material is stored off-site; advance notice is required.


Idaho State Historical Society. (1965, August 2). History of Fort Boise. Reference series. Retrieved from,
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Collections Repository

150 N Capitol Blvd
PO Box 500
Boise Idaho 83701