Skip to main content

AAA Sign Company records

Identifier: 2015.14

Scope and Contents

This collection contains drafts of signs fabricated by the AAA Sign Company under the operation of Paul Ashley and Allen P. Haumann.


  • 1940 - 1959


Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Biographical / Historical

Paul Ashley opened the AAA Sign Company with his brother Art in Boise’s Hyde Park in 1944. Their father was also a sign maker. The Ashley’s opened their business at 1404 N. 12th Street. Prior to them moving in, the building was a tinsmith’s shop. The AAA Sign Company was known for its sleek, modern designs. Paul Ashley drew the original Kuna Caveman mascot and painted some of the signs up at Bogus Basin. Paul Ashley retired in 1989 and passed on the company to his grandson, Allen P. Haumann. Paul died in 2001. In 2011 Justinian Morton began restoring the building and operating the AAA Sign Company. Morton closed the company in 2015, however it was later reopened at a different location in 2016 with a new owner, Mike Miller –who also owns Junk Monkeys and Pinup Sign.


1.5 Linear Feet

Language of Materials


Physical Location

Material is stored off-site; advance notice is required.

Processing Status



Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Collections Repository

150 N Capitol Blvd
PO Box 500
Boise Idaho 83701